Pages

Tuesday 4 March 2014

Microbes and spoilage and mould, oh my!

Today was day one of the Food Safety level three course. Most of what was covered today was a refresher for me, as I hold the level two already. What was fun, however, was having everyone share their stories of hygiene horrors, allergy emergencies and mould mishaps. Tomorrow we start the day by presenting on a bacteria each and I'm genuinely looking forward to waxing lyrical about Bacillum Cereus. Who'd wouldn't?!

At lunch time we had the vichyssoise soup we'd made yesterday, finished for us by the tutors
with a touch of cream, chopped chives and a drizzle of truffle oil. My compliments to the chef!

This evening pancake day was celebrated in style when I made two pancake batters - one buckwheat and one plain, the former for savoury pancakes and the latter for sweet. My personal favourites were a goats cheese, caramelised onion and roasted tomato pancake and a salted dark chocolate and banana pancake. Why can't it be pancake day more often?

With all the food I'll be needing to cook in the next six weeks, it will be nigh on impossible to give anything up and still learn about it, so all suggestions are welcome!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment